The Midtown Pregnancy Support Center (MPSC) provides the following FREE services:
- You will be offered a self administered laboratory quality urine pregnancy test. Results of the test are available within 5 minutes and, after reading the results, client advocates will review next steps and options.
- MPSC’s urine test detects the human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) hormone in the urine for early indication of pregnancy. HCG is secreted by the developing placenta shortly after fertilization and can be detected as early as 3 to 4 days after the fertilized egg has implanted in a woman’s uterus.
Early, accurate, prenatal medical services (referral)
- If your pregnancy test is positive, you will receive a free, ultrasound scan to help determine how far along you are, and if your pregnancy is viable.
Pregnancy Decision Support
- Trained client advocates help you identify your needs and concerns, guiding you through a decision making process that helps you take the next step
- Emotional support in the form of client advocacy* for women, men, & families
- Male client advocates available to meet with men
- Client advocates help you to develop a plan to meet your personal goals for your future
Practical support and referrals
- MPSC refers to over 400 organizations & pregnancy services and resources in the greater NYC area, depending on your specific need, including, but not limited to: free prenatal exams/ultrasounds, insurance, housing, job training & placement, quality nursery/day care, pregnancy classes, and mom’s support groups
- MPSC offers pregnancy classes, labor/delivery classes, breastfeeding classes, mom’s support groups, and infant care classes
- Infant and maternity clothing and materials
Accurate information about all three options:
Gathering information about each option can help you in making the best decision.
1. Abortion: Complete information on all types of surgical/chemical abortion procedures, possible physical and emotional side effects, 10-point health and safety checklist, fetal development and risks. You also have the option of speaking with women who chose to terminate their pregnancy as a result of an unintended pregnancy.
2. Adoption: Many people have misconceptions about adoption. Our client advocates are well informed and can explain the entire adoption process. For the birth mother, adoption can be a positive resolution and is a loving and courageous choice which provides the gift of a child to a loving family. Adoptive parents are carefully screened & the birthmother can choose a family for the child, as well as the amount of contact she, as the birthmother, will have with the child. Research shows that adopted children do very well in life emotionally, socially, and mentally. Client advocates who have personal experience with adoption, either as an adoptee or as a birth mother, are also available to speak with you.
3. Parenting: Parenting takes a lot of energy and is challenging, but is also very rewarding. MPSC can provide you with the resources and support to help you meet the goals you have for yourself and your baby.
*Client Advocates are trained volunteers with experience in supporting women and men facing unplanned pregnancies and helping them to make a plan for their future.
This information is intended for general education purposes only and should not be relied upon as a substitute for professional and/or medical advice.
At MPSC, your right to privacy is of the utmost importance. All information shared will be held in strict and absolute confidence, except in the rare circumstances when prohibited by law.